Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Remodeling the Home

Although everyone talks about how this is a buyer’s market for buying a house, Harvard University's Joint Center for Housing Studies should that Americans spent $233 billion last year fixing up their homes and the boom shows no signs of slowing. This is an indicator Americans are remodeling and upgrading their homes as opposed to buying a new homes. Becca and I would love to buy a new home but because of the current economic state I wonder if it would be wise to purchase a home right now. We decided to make some small upgrades to our home and had some (very little) fun doing them. I ask myself is it worth it to keep up with the Joneses? I read a study commissioned by the Wall Street Journal found that the price of keeping a typical home up to current standards over a 30-year period is almost four times the home's purchase price. I guess it’s all personal value! Becca and I figured if we aren’t going to buy a home any time soon we might as well fix it up the way we like it.



Dinning Area: Added Chair Rail



After: Adding Chair Rail and Squares



Back yard: Without extended patio



Back Yard After: Extending the Patio and added tumbled Pavers



No comments: